Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas is coming

I'm so excited to announce that we are going home (to Iowa) for Christmas this year!!! This is the first time in 5 years that we'll be there for this holiday and I'm stoked. Taryn has never been to Iowa for Christmas and she is just as excited as the other kids. Since she is the only one that doesn't have a concept of time, she thinks that Christmas is "tomorrow" and that we are going to Grampy's any moment. She has her bags packed... so cute!

I have not started shopping and honestly don't even know what to get the kids this year. I'm struggling to figure out a few things... Do we have Santa come early and celebrate Christmas early, do we ship gifts there and have Santa find us there to let them open Christmas morning, do we wait and have Santa come while we are gone and celebrate after the fact? I just don't know what to do! It makes sense to do it early but I can't imagine the kids not opening gifts from Santa Christmas morning. What to do - what to do...

I have asked each of the kids what they want for Christmas. Jayden said he wants books and more nerf guns, Kiarra wants a cell phone and an iPod, Tamia wants clothes and jewelry and Taryn wants and iPod and a "real" laptop. Why is it that my 4 year old is suddenly more expensive than the older girls!??! Taryn told me she does not want any more babies or books, because she has enough. She is going to be one disappointed little girl come Christmas morning (or whenever we celebrate).

Jayden had a reading benchmark a few weeks back and he passed with a 97% (missing only 1 question). He only needed a 65 to pass and he killed it, we are so proud of him. Yesterday, Kiarra brought home her reading benchmark (that she stressed out about for a week) and she scored a 95% (missing only 2 questions). I think she needed a 75 to pass but regardless she did awesome and we are so proud of her as well. Taryn just moved up to the next room as pre-school. She is such a big girl and so grown!





2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm so excited for you!!!! I say ship them there! There's just something truly magical about opening presents on Christmas morning!

    When I was in college and my sister in high school - my Mom & Dad still waited until we went to sleep to put out our gifts! I thought it was silly - but secretly I LOVED IT!!!

    Either way you decide I know you'll make it super special for your precious family!

    Enjoy every minute!

    love ya,
    pen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should do as much shopping online as you possibly can, and have everything shipped there. Of course, they'll have to wrap some of the gifts, but won't it be worth it for your kids to have Christmas on Christmas morning? I'm sure the kids would understand if you had to wait until you got back, but to me, it just wouldn't be the same. Any way you guys decide, you are together and that is what matters the most. Love you and miss you tons.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete