Tuesday, July 13, 2010

New Orleans and one-on-one time with Taryn

Each summer, the older kids spend a week in New Orleans with Jeff’s parents. This year Tamia suggested they spend 2 weeks there and that was ok with everyone so we agreed on that. Friday, June 2nd we packed up and headed for New Orleans to spend the weekend and to leave the older kids there with Shirley and Perry. It was a nice relaxing weekend, we did absolutely nothing and it was wonderful. Jeff and I have been working really hard and traveling quite a bit so a little R&R was exactly what we needed. We did get a chance to visit with his Grandmother who recently relocated there from Atlanta, Jeff’s best friend and of course we couldn’t be in NOLA without a visit with our great friends John and Penny. For the first time in 7 years we didn't have a 4th of July party. I almost didn't know what to do with myself. Monday came all too quick and it was time for us to head home. We’d prepared Taryn by telling her often that she’d be coming home with us and the older kids would be staying. I was afraid of a meltdown but she did great. A few weeks prior to the trip, Tamia’s Mom decided she couldn’t stay in New Orleans so we brought her home with us as well (I think that helped Taryn too). It had been a few months since we had baby mama drama so we should have expected this! Regardless, it was hard for Tamia – she was so excited about getting to stay with them 2 weeks and now she didn’t get to stay at all.
I miss Kiarra and Jayden a lot, but this one-on-one time with Taryn has been a blast. She has an amazing personality and is so energetic – her mouth never stops, she even talks in her sleep! Everyday when we get home she walks in the house and says “kids, I’m home – KIIIDS, I’mmmmm HOOOOOME.” It is so cute. She’s been a huge help too, I took clothes out of the dryer threw them on my bed and went in to throw in another load, when I came back she had already started folding the clothes! Is she awesome or what? With the kids being gone, Jeff thought she should sleep on the couch so she isn’t upstairs by herself during the night (and he says he’s not wrapped around her little finger – HA!)… So each night, she lays in bed with me until she falls asleep then Jeff puts her on the couch. This is priceless time, we watch tv, play games and giggle until we get in trouble. I’m having so much fun with her. It takes me back to when Kiarra was this age and Jayden a tiny baby [tears…] – priceless memories. Taryn even went to her first sleep over during this time. She’s never spent the night with anyone except my Mom and she did really well. I’m not sure if she’s ready to be gone a whole week, that will have to wait a few more years, but she is good with one night here or there. Some of her new sayings are:
“You crack me up”
“Mommy, I AM old enough now”
“Ummm, ummm” (as she smacks her teeth with her tongue)
“When I get married….”
“Mommy, the baby in my tummy…”
I couldn’t understand why she was so fixated on getting married and having babies. For a few months she has been talking everyday about “getting a baby in her tummy.” Well FINALLY, it all makes sense. Her teacher at school is expecting her first baby and has been talking to them about it. Whew, at least I know where that is coming from. She loves to listen to music and as I think I’ve posed before, we always have music on and dance around the house like crazy fools. She knows all the words to Jesus Take the Wheel and if she wasn’t so shy, I’d stick her in a pageant to perform it. One of these days I’ll get it on video and will post it for all to see. Even right now, we are sitting in my bed, she is fixing my hair and every minute she throws her arms around me (choking me) and hugs me, kisses my cheek and neck and says to me “I lub you sooo much Mommieeee”. She is one awesome kid!Kiarra and Jayden come home in 2 days and I can’t wait to see them! I am so grateful to my in-laws for keeping them for 2 weeks (the kids better of behaved so they can go back next year). J Its memories like this that will stick with them their entire life and I’m so glad they have Grandparents to make memories with.


Sorry, no pics this week. The kids have the camera in New Orleans.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the shout out! I made the blog! Our time with you guys was just precious!!!

    what a precious time you're getting to have with sweet little Taryn too!

    No worries on the pics... just post some from their time in New Orleans!

    love ya my friend!

    ReplyDelete