Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fathers Day, Jayden’s Birthday and 2nd trip of 2010 to Iowa

This year was the first Fathers Day since Dad passed away that we were planning to be in Iowa. I was dreading it from the day we planned the trip several months back. Jeff always seems to get ripped off on Fathers Day because I simply don’t like Fathers Day anymore. Trying to buy him a card is pure torture. I try to “remember the good times” and “not think about it” but seriously? Is it that easy? So this year, the kids and I planned to surprise Jeff celebrate Fathers Day a week early. Our plan was a success and we all had a great day.
2 weeks before going to Iowa we invited a few boys over and had a little b-day party sleepover for Jayden. 5 boys came, we went bowling, played limbo, musical chairs and they spent hours building things with legos. They all had a great time.
Our trip to Iowa began on Friday, June 18th we drove straight through and after 17 amazing, wonderful, terrific, fantastic hours in the car with 6 other people, we arrived to our destination. Jayden was so excited that we were going to be in Iowa for his birthday that we decided to throw him a surprise party – on Fathers Day. My aunt Marcia was a HUGE help in making this happen. She did all the shopping for us, made potato salad and cut up tons of fruit. Having the party on Fathers Day was great because all day we kept referring to the “Fathers Day picnic” that was taking place in the afternoon which was actually his party. He and the other kids filled 300 water balloons! We started the day giving Jeff his Fathers Day gifts and sharing our gratitude to him. We spent the day getting some things ready for the party; I had to take my niece to get a bathing suit and a few last minute food items.
Jeff and my cousin Jeremy took the kids to the park so we could finish preparing food and get the cake from Aunt Marcia’s house. Family started to arrive and I was ecstatic. At 4:00 Jeff brought all the kids back from the park and we all yelled “surprise” to Jayden! He was so confused and didn’t understand what was going on. I had to explain to him that this wasn’t a “Fathers Day picnic” but his birthday party instead. He was surprised and so happy. We had a slip-n-slide for the kids and of course the 300 water balloons that I think the adults had more fun with than the kids. Within an hour everyone was there and we had dinner – or supper as they call it – water balloon fight, followed by cake and gifts, more water balloon fight, basketball and of course the good ol’ slip-n-slide that the kids played on the entire time. The kids had a blast playing with all their cousins.

We spent the rest of the week chilling, going to my nephew’s baseball games and my nieces softball games, swimming and hanging out with family.
Saturday, the 26th was Brent and Kellie’s wedding and it was beautiful. The ceremony had me in tears, the speeches at the reception had me in tears and seeing the other side of my family had me in tears. My Dads cousins were there and it was so great to see them and hug their necks! We all danced the night away, ok ok the kids danced WAY more than I did but we all had a really good time. Congratulations Brent and Kellie!!
Sunday, we got up, packed up and headed for home. We packed as if we would stop and get a room along the way because we were all exhausted but ended up driving straight through again. I drove the first 15 hours and Jeff drove the last few. Although I love my family and love spending time in Iowa, there’s nothing like crawling into your own bed! We got to the house around 5 am and crashed. All in all we had a great trip. See my facebook page for tons more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment