Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas 2021

What a week! So much family, food and fun!! 

After Kiarra’s graduation last week we went to lunch with Jeff’s parents to celebrate her big day. They headed back to Houston and we stayed in Dallas. I’m grateful my kids have Grandparents in their life. It’s times like these that I really miss my Dad. He would be so proud of her, and all his Grandkids.

For the first time ever, we didn’t have our family gift exchange in our home. Since we were already in Dallas for her graduation, we decided to haul everything up there and open gifts at her place. I really love traditions but also like being a little spontaneous every now and then.

Picking up the rental car on Saturday from the Dallas airport was quite the disaster. I had assumed it would the same as picking it up in Houston but I was very wrong. After a call to India, circling the airport multiple times, Jeff being told he needed a mask to get on the shuttle bus, he finally got to the place to get the car. Thankfully they didn’t have any of the Tahoes that we rented and paid for so we got a pretty awesome upgrade (which we needed the space anyway). The only time I miss my suburban is when we travel and when all the kids are home. I loved driving the fully loaded suburban all week. Reminded me of all the good times in mine.

Sunday we loaded up and made the drive to my Moms in Iowa. Leaving from Dallas made the drive SO much easier! It was only 11 hours instead of 15! I didn’t realize how much difference those 4 hours would make. I vote we make this our new tradition.  Mom had dinner ready for us when we arrived and my siblings came over to hang out with us.

After 4 years of growing my hair out, I went to see my cousin on Monday and got it chopped off again. The Rona hair loss caught up to me and it was all falling out๐Ÿ˜ญ. I literally have bald spots from losing so much so I thought it would be best to just chop it all off (and save me the heartache of seeing my long hair in clumps). The rest of the day we chilled & played games while the electrician worked in the house. It wouldn’t be a trip to Iowa without getting pizza burgers in Dunlap so we did that before heading to workout that evening.

My siblings and their families came Tuesday evening to celebrate Christmas. Just missing Kenzie (she came up the following day) and Tamia this year. We grubbed, played a few games and then had a really good laugh at the pajama pants my Mom got her grandkids ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿป๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿฟ. 

We mostly chilled Wednesday & Thursday. We played a ton of games and just hung out with family. Jeff and I have both been working so much, this mental break was exactly what we both needed. My Mom, the girls and I went to one of favorite boutiques in Onawa and did a little shopping. We had delicious steaks in Soldier Wednesday night and even though we waited 1.5 hours for our food, it was worth it!!  So so good!! Jayden said it was the best steak he’s ever had!!  Seriously, so fricken good. Thursday night we hit up another favorite spot in Ute but after our server was rude to us, and food was cold/incorrect/took forever, I’m not sure we’ll keep that as part of our tradition. Such a bummer but I’d rather cook myself than be treated that way. I can handle inconsistencies in food but I don’t appreciate and won’t tolerate bad service and bad attitudes. Life is too short.

The tradition continued this year on Christmas Eve, celebrating with my Dads side of the family at my Aunt Loretta and Uncle Russ’s home. Someone had a bright idea to wear ugly shirts/sweaters this year and it was so much fun. Jayden & Taryn already had sweaters so they wore theirs but the rest of us decided to make ours out of old decorations that Mom had๐Ÿ˜ฌ☺️๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜…. I highly recommend doing this, it was so fun. 

Christmas Day was pretty chill. Mom & I played cards while the kids watched movies. We cooked another Christmas dinner had more family over for that.

It was great to catch up with everyone but after 12 days away from home, I’m ready to sleep in my own bed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment