Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Journey to Health, Volume VII


  


2019 started out rocky after I was hospitalized for Sepsis at the end of January. You can read about that journey here if you’d like. Recovery from that has taken most of the year. They gave me an incredible amount of antibiotics that wiped out my immune system which then resulted in me being ill a few times this past year. I mostly feel like myself but am still worried about getting another infection and having to go through all that again. I feel great most of the time but the first 6-8 months were rough. In December I had a scope of my bladder (OUCHHH), and they confirmed everything looked great and that I definitely didn’t have bladder cancer.

I took time in 2019 to organize my home. I did an overhaul of my closet (check out the before and after videos that I posted) and pantry (sorry, I forgot to take a before pic)! It was two full days that were very well spent and each time I go into either of them, I’m no longer frustrated but smile from ear to ear that they are organized. Everything is easy to find once again! The pantry still needs some work (just too much stuff that I can’t get rid of, like 7 crock pots) but I love the containers I purchased to organize everything. This is part of my Journey to Health because stress affects health. If something is stressful, I try to remove it from my life. There are things we simply can’t remove, but if something like a cluttered closet is stressing you out every time you walk into and it you want to light a match and burn the place down because of it, I suggest doing something about it.

Speaking of stress, March and April of last year were tough. I struggled mentally. I had thoughts of ending my life and one day it got to be too much. I know I will never, ever, end my life but that doesn’t stop the thoughts. They don’t magically just go away because a decision is made to never take the action on those thoughts.  Making that decision doesn’t stop the enemy from coming in and attacking me and my family with vengeance. I spoke to Jeff about it and asked those close to me to pray. I began to read up on mental health and how I could combat it with essential oils. I had everything in my arsenal that I needed, or so I thought. I began using them more regularly and consistently which immediately helped. I thought I was good until I realized I could be great. In September, doTERRA launched a new product that has given me a whole new perspective on life. As soon as I received my new oils and capsules, I started taking them immediately and what a difference they made. People close to me recognized the difference not even knowing I was doing/taking something different.

Did you know that 2019 was the worst year of my life? We were blessed in 2019 and had a lot of wonderful things happen, but it was still the worst year I’ve had. We had major milestones (Kiarra turned 20, I turned 40, Jayden turned 18, Tamia turned 21, Taryn turned 13, Jeff and I celebrated 20 years of marriage, etc), which were all great, but we were also battling what has been the toughest fight we’ve ever faced. Most people don’t know this and would never know because I didn’t remain in my closet on the floor in the fetal position. I got up, put on my oils, showered, got ready for the day, diffused oils 24/7, and trekked forward with my head held high. Did I have moments of meltdowns and uncertainty? Absolutely! Did I have moments that are engraved into my brain forever that I want to forget? Yep, that too! Was there a day here and there that I had to force myself to get out of bed?  Sure did. The specific oils I used boosted my mood and helped with my anxiety (thankfully I haven’t had to take anxiety medication in over 4 years – thank you doTERRA). Without these oils, I 100% would have needed to get on medication for anxiety (which would have had major side effects). I was able to manage life and continue being the best wife and mother I could be because 1, God had me in the palm of his hand and 2, I had the tools and products I needed to regain my health (from my Sepsis diagnosis), stay healthy (from catching the flu) and press forward. There are 4 specific oils/blends I used to get out of bed, keep my head held high and press forward during this very difficult season. Those are Cheer, Jasmin, Balance and Adaptiv.
  • Cheer is dōTERRAs Uplifing Blend. It smells fresh and warm and uplifts my mood within seconds of inhaling it and applying it topically. I start everyday with Cheer. Typically, I apply it on my way to work or once I get to the office but during this time I had it on my nightstand and would often apply it before getting out of bed.
  • Jasmin is wonderful for uplifting the mood and calming the nerves. It smells like a real Jasmine flower, it’s warm and exotic.
  • Balance is dōTERRAs Grounding Blend and it does just that. It didn’t matter if I was crying in the fetal position or just down from everything going on, it would immediately calm and ground me. It’s very soothing and tranquil. Balance is one that I’ve used for years, applying it to the bottoms of my feet each morning when I was getting ready for work. It helps me get in the right head space to start my day. I love it so much I also will apply it throughout the day to my wrists.
  • Adaptiv is dōTERRAs Calming Blend. It is new as of September and has already changed SO many lives. There are thousands of testimony’s on this wonderful blend. I started taking the capsules when I received them and looking back, I can see a clear difference in my mindset prior to taking them verses after taking them. I didn’t need to grab Cheer and Jasmin as much throughout the day because I was taking Adaptiv.

In addition to my normal routine of oils, and the ones mentioned above, I also diffused Peppermint and Wild Orange constantly. They smell amazing together, they are uplifting and calming.

Throughout the year, I also managed to really detox our home to get rid of the remaining products that cause us to feel awful. As I learn more about chemicals and how bad they are for us (we already know that chemicals are toxic and toxins cause cancer), I can’t help but toss items as I come across them.

We can’t eliminate 100% of all toxins from our life as we breathe nasty fumes and such each day but I will do everything I can to eliminate the products that we keep in our home and ensure I’m doing everything I can to protect my family from these things. I started 3-4 years ago and immediately removed the following items. If you are interested in getting rid of some super toxic items in your home, I recommend you also immediately remove the following items:
  • Dryer Sheets
  • Laundry Soap (Tide and Dreft are the worst)
  • Candles, Plug-ins and wax burners
  • Cleaning products (if they burn your nose and you have to (or should) wear a mask, you should NOT be using them or have them in your home)
  • Shampoos and scented hand/body soaps
  • Perfume and Cologne
  • All food containing MSG and Red Dye 40

I did manage to remember to take a picture in Moms driveway while we were in Iowa over Christmas. Sorry I didn’t smile with my teeth (braces).  Speaking of braces, third time is a charm, right?  I shouldn’t have to have them much longer. The goal of getting them this final time was to fix the front tooth, that had gone astray after my permanent retainer broke years ago, and also fix two back teeth that were crooked (which could be causing issues with my TMJ). I’ve found an oil that has really helps when I’m having pain from my TMJ and another to help me relax at night, so I don’t clench my teeth. For the most part, my weight has plateaued. I’m an emotional eater and with the stresses of life, I ended up gaining 10-12 pounds. My weight always fluctuates 5 lbs here and there but for the most part, I’ve maintained my weight (with these extra pounds). I haven’t had to go up in clothing size so I remain happy with my results. It’s been 3 years since my surgery and I’m still so grateful that I took the steps to take control of my health and get healthier. I have no regrets on how I chose to do this. Now I just need to drop those pesky pounds I gained and maybe a few extra.

This year, I plan to learn more about plant-based nutrition as well as get my blood sugar under control. I’ve had trouble since high school with low blood sugar and I was having some pretty significant symptoms again, so I had my doctor run labs which confirmed my suspicions. It’s constantly low and then I also have major crashes. When it should be 120-140 (two-three hours after a meal), it’s only 45-55. I naturally have really low blood pressure as well so to add the low blood sugar is a bit annoying. They say to eat something sugary to bring it up quickly, but I don’t want to!  I want to reduce our sugar intake and remove processed foods completely. There is just no good reason for all these chips, granola bars and junk!  If I could just get my son to eat more veggies!!  I’m tracking my sugar every few hours right now and will continue for the next 30 days.

Wishing you a blessed New Year!  Bring on 2020!

xoxo,
Trina















No comments:

Post a Comment